Gallery Players is holding auditions for its upcoming Equity showcase production (approval pending) of Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike by Christopher Durang. Director: Tom Rowan, Producer: Marty Goldin.
Performances February 22 – March 8: Thursdays at 8pm, Fridays at 8pm, Saturdays at 2pm (February 29 and March 7) and 8pm, and Sundays at 3pm. Rehearsals start Saturday, January 18 and will be in the evenings and on weekends. All auditions, rehearsals, and performances take place at Gallery Players, 199 14th Street, Brooklyn.
Auditions will be held on: Saturday, December 14, 12-4pm
Sign-up will start 30 minutes before the start of auditions. AEA priority. Equity/Non-Equity. No pay.
- VANYA, male, Caucasian, 45-60. Comfortably rumpled and bookish; disappointed by life. Kind-hearted, repressed. Mild-mannered and self-effacing—until he isn’t.
- SONIA, female, Caucasian, 45-60. Vanya’s adopted sister. Feels that life passed her by; wistful and melancholy, sometimes angry, possibly bipolar. Cozily frumpy—until a costume party reveals her hidden charms.
- MASHA, female, Caucasian, 45-60. Vanya’s sister. A glamorous movie star who wanted to be a classical actress. Charismatic, sexy, self-dramatizing; a “cougar.”
- SPIKE, male, any ethnicity, 20-35. Masha’s boy-toy. Playful, out-going, self-absorbed, ambitious. Great-looking guy with a gym-toned physique that he enjoys showing off.
- NINA, female, any ethnicity, 18-25. The girl-next-door, a lovely ingenue, unspoiled and luminous. Starstruck; wants to be an actress.
- CASSANDRA, female, African American, 30-65. Eccentric housekeeper with voodoo skills and surprising ability to foretell the future. Powerful voice and strong comic timing.
Please prepare a monologue from a contemporary comedy, up to two minutes in length. Please bring a hard copy of your photo/resume.
Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike
This winner of the 2013 Tony Award for Best Play is the story of middle-aged siblings Vanya and Sonia, who share a home in Bucks County, PA where they bicker and complain about the circumstances of their lives. Suddenly, their movie star sister, Masha, swoops in with her new boy toy, Spike. Old resentments flare up, eventually leading to threats to sell the house. Also on the scene are sassy maid Cassandra, who can predict the future, and a lovely young aspiring actress named Nina, whose prettiness somewhat worries the imperious Masha.
Gallery Players is located at 199 14th Street in Brooklyn. Take the F, G, or R train to Fourth Avenue / 9th Street.