“Words can’t express what I feel right now. What a special two nights I just had. Sitting with friends and strangers and watching 2 hours of my work in a theater full of love and support for my writing. This whole process has been not only fun but important because I learned so much from seeing OCEAN PLANET staged and realized. What a special memory. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for believing in me and producing this weekend of my plays.” – Brett Epstein, playwright
Submission Guidelines 2020
The Gallery Players in Park Slope, Brooklyn, New York, is seeking plays for its 23rd Annual Black Box New Play Festival to be held in January 2020. Each play selected will be given a black box production at Gallery Players and will be performed in a festival format with non-Equity actors. Playwrights must be available for rehearsals, if not in person then by Skype, phone, or email, and use this as an opportunity to continue work on their play.
THE DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS: POSTMARKED BY JULY 31, 2019
- Plays must be un-produced (i.e., plays must never have had a previous production) – readings are ok; must be the play’s world premiere
- Length may be from 10 minutes to 60 minutes. No monologues. No period costume pieces.
- You may submit as many plays as you wish
- Pages must be numbered
- A cover page with title of the play and playwright’s contact information is required, along with a plot synopsis of the play and a character breakdown
- Submit a copy of your resume
- Playwrights may not direct their own work
- Send two copies of your play(s), along with your resume, to:
The Gallery Players
Black Box New Play Festival
199 14th Street
Brooklyn, NY 11215
We will only contact you if your play has been accepted into the Festival. If you want confirmation that your mailing was received by us, please include a self-addressed stamped return postcard.
We do not accept emailed submissions.
We do not return scripts. Any scripts not chosen for the Festival will be destroyed to protect the copyright.