“Words can’t express what I feel right now. What a special two nights I just had. Sitting with friends and strangers and watching 2 hours of my work in a theater full of love and support for my writing. This whole process has been not only fun but important because I learned so much from seeing Ocean Planet staged and realized. What a special memory. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for believing in me and producing this weekend of my plays.” – Brett Epstein, playwright
Black Box 2019 Auditions
Gallery Players in Park Slope, Brooklyn’s premier Off-Off Broadway theater, is holding auditions for its upcoming Black Box New Play Festival. Producers: Sue Glausen and Dominic Cuskern. Non-Equity only. No pay.
The festival takes place from January 10th – 27th and features the world premieres of 11 plays. The plays range in length from 10 minutes to full-length. The festival runs over three weekends (Thursday – Sunday) and each weekend will feature a separate program.
There are many roles available for all ages, races and ethnicities. Everyone is strongly encouraged to audition. Open call auditions will be held:
- Saturday November 10 from 1-4PM
- Monday, November 12 from 7-9PM
- Sunday, November 18 from 1-4PM
Sign up will begin thirty minutes prior to the start of the auditions.
Please prepare a contemporary monologue of about one minute. It can be either dramatic or comic. Bring a headshot and resume.
The auditions will take place at 199 14th Street in Park Slope, Brooklyn (between 4th and 5th Aves). Take the F, G, or R train to 4th Ave/9th St.
22nd Annual Black Box New Play Festival Performance Schedule:
January 10 – 27, 2019
Thurs, Fri, Sat at 7:30pm | Sun at 3:00pm
First Week, January 10 – 13, 2019:
- “In the Gardens of Eden” by Vicki Riba Koestler
- “Planned Obsolescence” by Bara Swain
- “The Black Box (or, How to Die Happy)” by David Harms
- “The Rooftop Plays” by Marlene Shyer
Second Week, January 17 – 20, 2019
- “The Woman At His Side” by Donald Steele
- “Horny” by Rich Rubin
- “One Night” by A. Dean Bell
- “The Prisoners of Driscoll Street” by Bradley Nies
Third Week, January 24 – 27, 2019
- “Upfronts & Personal” by Ken Levine
Co-Producers: Sue Glausen and Dominic Cuskern
Stage Manager: Timothy Sheridan
Submission Guidelines 2019
The Gallery Players in Park Slope, Brooklyn, New York, is seeking plays for its 22nd Annual Black Box New Play Festival to be held in January 2019. Each play selected will be given a black box production at Gallery Players and will be performed in a festival format with non-Equity actors. Playwrights must be available for rehearsals, if not in person then by Skype, phone, or e-mail, and use this as an opportunity to continue work on their play.
THE DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS: POSTMARKED BY AUGUST 31, 2018
- Plays must be un-produced (i.e., plays must never have had a previous production) – readings are ok; must be the play’s world premiere
- Length may be from 10 minutes to 60 minutes. No monologues. No period costume pieces.
- You may submit as many plays as you wish
- Pages must be numbered
- A cover page with title of the play and playwright’s contact information is required, along with a plot synopsis of the play and a character breakdown
- Submit a copy of your resume
- Playwrights may not direct their own work
- Send two copies of your play(s), along with your resume, to:
The Gallery Players
Black Box New Play Festival
199 14th Street
Brooklyn, NY 11215
We will only contact you if your play has been accepted into the Festival. If you want confirmation that your mailing was received by us, please include a self-addressed stamped return postcard.
We do not accept e-mail submissions.
We do not return scripts. Any scripts not chosen for the Festival will be destroyed to protect the copyright.