The Black Box New Play Festival
The Gallery Players Black Box New Play Festival directly supports the development of new plays and the development of new playwrights. Each of the plays selected is presented in black box style with minimum set, lighting and sound design. This allows the focus to be fully on the play, giving the playwright an opportunity to refine his/her work in a rehearsal situation and allowing the playwright an opportunity to view his/her play in a production.
The Festival takes place on 4 weekends in June of each year, showcasing world premiers of new plays. After the last performance of each weekend there is a moderated talkback with the playwrights and audience members, giving the playwright an opportunity for constructive feedback on his/her work.
We accept submissions from October 1st through December 31st of each year.
- Plays must be un-produced (readings are ok); must be the play’s world premier
- Length may be from 10 minutes to full-length
- Pages must be numbered
- A cover page with Title of the play and playwrights contact information is required, along with a plot synopsis of the play and a character breakdown
- Submit a copy of your resume
- Playwrights may not direct their own work
- Send two copies of your play, along with your resume, to:
The Gallery Players
Black Box New Play Festival
199 14th Street
Brooklyn, NY 11215.
We will only contact you if your play has been accepted into the Festival. If you want confirmation that your mailing was received by us, please include a self-addressed stamped return postcard.
We do not accept email submissions.
We do not return scripts. Any scripts not chosen for the Festival will be destroyed to protect the copyright.