“Words can’t express what I feel right now. What a special two nights I just had. Sitting with friends and strangers and watching 2 hours of my work in a theater full of love and support for my writing. This whole process has been not only fun but important because I learned so much from seeing OCEAN PLANET staged and realized. What a special memory. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for believing in me and producing this weekend of my plays.” – Brett Epstein, playwright
Submission Guidelines 2021
Gallery Players in Park Slope, Brooklyn, is seeking plays for its 24th Annual Black Box New Play Festival to be held in January 2021. We are specifically seeking plays from the BIPOC (Black, Indigenous and People of Color) playwriting community.
Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, the upcoming festival will be performed over Zoom. Accordingly, we are seeking plays that have been specifically written for the Zoom format. Each play selected will be performed with non-Equity actors. Playwrights must be available for rehearsals and use this as an opportunity to continue work on their play.
- Plays must be un-produced in any format (readings are OK)
- Length may be from 10 minutes to 15 minutes MAXIMUM. Longer plays will not be considered.
- You may submit a maximum of two plays
- Pages must be numbered
- A cover page with title of the play and playwright’s contact information is required, along with a plot synopsis of the play and a character breakdown
- Submit a copy of your resume
- Send two copies of your play(s), along with your resume, to:
Black Box New Play Festival
199 14th Street
Brooklyn, NY 11215
We will only contact you if your play has been accepted into the festival. If you want confirmation that your mailing was received, please include a self-addressed stamped return postcard.
We do not accept emailed submissions.
We do not return scripts. Any scripts not chosen for the Festival will be destroyed to protect the copyright.